BY HAILEY MINTON
Peel the ginger and grate the root with a microplane. Try to save all the juice that comes out as you grate it. Use a funnel and a strainer to get all the ginger and ginger juice into the bottle while keeping the big fiber chunks out. Mix the sugar, lemon juice, and yeast in the bottle. Fill the bottle with water but leave about 2 inches of open space at the top. Shake the bottle to dissolve the yeast and sugar. Let the bottle sit at room temperature for 24-36 hours, then chill in the fridge. The bottle will be very pressurized by the end. You can either open it very slowly at the end or occasionally release pressure throughout the fermentation process.
1⁄4 lb. ginger root
1 cup sugar
1 1⁄2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 empty and clean 2-liter bottle (or any similar bottle)
BY CAROLE LINFORD
Add all ingredients to 1 gallon of warm water. Let sit overnight. The next morning, chill in refrigerator, then serve.
2 cups sugar
4 Tbsp. root beer extract
1 tsp. of dissolved yeast
Mini Meatball Monster Sliders
BY CINDY JONES
2 lbs. ground turkey breast or ground beef
1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1⁄4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1⁄2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. onion powder
1⁄4 tsp. black pepper
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1 can Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
Slider buns or small dinner rolls
Havarti cheese slices, cut into long triangles
Black or green olives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking dish or aluminum sheet with cooking oil.
- Gently roll meat mixture into small 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet, leaving room between each meatball. Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Gently loosen meatballs from dish with a spatula and kitchen tongs, turn over, and cook for another 10-12 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, heat Italian diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning in a small pan on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When meatballs are cooked through, remove from oven. Add 2-4 meatballs (depending on size) to the slider buns and top with a tablespoon or so of the sauce. Lay strips of cut Havarti cheese across so that the pointed section hangs over the front and add the top bun. Slide toothpicks through the center of sliced black or green olives and insert them into the bun, adjusting the “monster’s” eyes.
Serve with fresh veggies or chips and dip. Enjoy!